English : Spiked Millet / Pearl Millet
Hindi : Bajra
Tamil : Kambu
Telugu : Sajja
Protein : 10.6 (G)
Iron : 16.9 (Mg)
Fiber : 1.3 (G)
Calcium : 38 (Mg)
Minerals : 2.3 (G)
Bajra, which you can refer to as the “magical pearl” is mostly grown in Africa and the Indian subcontinent. India is the largest producer of pearl millet or bajra.
Health benefits of bajra:
- It is highly effective and recommended in cases of severe constipation and stomach ulcers.
- It helps in lowering the cholesterol levels. This is due to the presence of phytic acid and niacin.
- It is also believed to be associated with bringing down the risk of cancer.
- Being rich in fiber content, bajra works very well in diabetes. Gradual release of blood sugar in the bloodstream helps to keep the glucose levels normal.
- The wholegrain supports weight loss. The high fiber content leads to a feeling of fullness for a prolonged period and this controls your hunger. You tend to eat less and this aids in your weight loss process.
- Bajra has some medicinal properties when bread is eaten with honey in the morning. It is especially effective for bleeding piles, epilepsy, insomnia, impotency, high blood pressure, diabetes and tuberculosis.
- It is easily digestible and has the lowest probability of causing allergic reactions.